Monday, March 2, 2015

Shirtlessness Acheived!

Gentle readers, I realize that it has been six months since I last posted to the blog.  While 2014 was a bit of a lackluster year for IMS, I will defend my latest lapse in posting as rather more time spent on the cause rather than less.  For in these last six months, I have been working hard on the world premier production of my play "Washer/Dryer" at Los Angeles' East West Players, and I am pleased to announce that this production does indeed feature male shirtlessness!  After years of blogging about other people creating opportunities for male shirtlessness, I am so happy to announce that I have joined that community of creators.

Although the above posted segment only hints at the shirtlessness in the show, I assure you that there is good shirtlessness to be found at multiple instances.  It most certainly lives up to the Two Point Standard of Fitness and Seeing the Sun, and also strikes a blow on behalf of Asian men by presenting a sexy and sexual Asian American leading man.  I'm very happy!

I'm also very proud of the production because it portrays two Asian American characters having sexual desire and agency.  My South Asian female lead wants her husband to take off his shirt and he complies to make her (and himself) happy.  I often laugh about this blog and my writing it, but on a serious note, when we are bombarded by images intended to please the white male gaze, I'm happy that I can add something into the cultural landscape that acknowledges women of color and their desires.  Baby steps, I know, but steps nonetheless.

So gentle readers and IMS members, I hope you will forgive my putting the blog on pause while I concentrated on putting some good diverse shirtlessness into the world.  If you are in the Los Angeles area, check it out for yourself!  And remember that I continue to be...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS


No comments: