Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I Love You, J Lo!



I was delighted to receive this video from an IMS member - J Lo's response to the objectification of women in music videos is to shoot a video featuring lots of scantily clad men in exotic locations like mansions and yachts.  While the IMS member who sent it was less enamored of the song than the video, I think that it speaks to the reasons the blog was started in the first place.  The assumption of the heterosexual male gaze in so much of modern media is taken for granted, and blogs like this one and videos like Ms. Lopez's both seek to create space for the gaze of others.  So gaze away and enjoy the above video.  I know I did!

To be fair, this is not the first video in which Ms. Lopez creates eye candy for straight women and gay men.  Anyone remember "I'm Into You?"  I'll never forget shirtless William Levy running on that beach.  And in both of these videos, she does not look too bad herself.  She is definitely inviting a male gaze while offering something for the ladies.  But I have to give it to her.  Jennifer Lopez, you are my hero.

Until her next video, I continue to be...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: