Friday, June 7, 2013

Shirtlessness on Broadway


Apparently our work has had enough of an effect on Broadway to warrant an essay by the venerable Ben Brantley in the New York Times this week.  Two IMS members sent me this link the day it came out.  Mr. Brantley seems less beholden to the shirtlessness than we are, but I'm glad he is commenting on it in the Times.  I'll agree that sometimes, shirtlessness can seem like more of a costume than a shirt when everyone's torso has been worked out to the exact same shape of perfection.  And I don't think that anyone needs to take off his shirt to give a great performance.  But I'm not going to lie - I enjoy some eye candy.  In an industry where the text of what anyone is saying is not always the most interesting thing, I'll take some shirtlessness.  Sebastian Stan, pictured above, garnered quite a bit of notice for his shirtlessness in "Picnic" this winter.  I like his torso and can see why someone might consider running away with it, I mean, him.  In any case, I think it is important to consider what we are promoting here at IMS.  In no way is IMS advocating for cookie cutter torsos across the boards, but rather for men to take care of and feel good enough about their torsos to show them off now and again.  Thanks to Mr. Brantley and Broadway for making me refocus on the cause.  I'll probably never thank those two entities on this blog ever again, so let's all take note.  Also, let's hope that this weekend's Tony Awards take similar note - perhaps a shirtless number or two?

Until Tuesday when I get back from my day off shenanigans, I continue to be...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: