Friday, June 14, 2013

Super Shirtlessness!

Summer has officially begun, and the blockbusters are kicking off some good shirtlessness!  I am particularly excited about "Man of Steel" since it stars the delightful Henry Cavill as my favorite superhero, Superman.  Mr. Cavill has graced this blog before when he played the loyal yet tortured Charles Brandon on "The Tudors" and spent most of the first season of that show shirtless.  As the above trailer shows, Mr. Cavill will continue to further the cause by appearing shirtless in this film in addition to wearing a suit that is essentially a unitard.  I love him.  If I were not doing a show in Philadelphia, I would organize at IMS outing to see this movie immediately.  Not only am I excited to see his take on Clark Kent, but I am also thrilled to see him paired with an actress who is older than him.  It's rare to find a Hollywood blockbuster in which the female love interest is older than the lead, and as someone who is also older than Mr. Cavill, I applaud the choice.  Who knows, maybe next will be a superhero movie with a mixed race couple?  Will miracles never cease to exist?

And speaking of miracles, this year's Tony Awards featured top awards to African-American actors and female directors.  There was a lot of hoopla about the diversity of this year's show which I must applaud.  I can't help but be a little bit surprised though that it took this long to have a show that was not just a parade of white men.  I hope that next year's show will build on it and include some other minorities too, like Latin people and Asians.  In such a diverse city, I wish that our theater would reflect its make-up more accurately.  Here's to hoping!  Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: