Sunday, August 23, 2009

Designer Shirtlessness

I have to post a little bit early because I am off to Fire Island early tomorrow morning. The life of a gay icon is busy, busy, busy! I'm delighted to get out of the city after being here for little over a week because it is ridiculously hot. The beach will be a welcome get-away from the oppressive humidity. One thing that has been turning up the heat in the subway is this Calvin Klein ad campaign that is everywhere. Eva Mendez and Jamie Dornan look really hot in these ads, both literally and figuratively. As I pass them in the underground hallways of the MTA, I wonder if being hot and sweaty ever looked so good. At IMS, we promote male shirtlessness, not female shirtlessness, but I just couldn't resist the double-shirtless-sexiness of this campaign.

I'm also recovering from a week of watching my new play produced in a hovel on the West Side. An important lesson that I have learned from the experience is that a playwright should not only ask about whether her work will be produced but also about how it will be produced. When the electricity to the light and sound board went out for the closing show, I had to question whether it really counts as a production when there are no light or sound cues for a 6 scene play. Oh well, live and learn!

Off to Fire Island where I know there will be plenty of excellent male shirtlessness, even though none of it will be for me. Until I return, I am quite literally...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: