Monday, March 22, 2010

Lost in Shirtlessness

A few months ago, I met Mr. Kim at the theater with a friend of mine. I was feeling rather bashful because it was the first time that I actually met someone that I have posted on the blog (but hopefully not the last!), but he was quite lovely, polite and down to earth. He proved that it is possible not only to give good shirtlessness but also to be a gentleman as well. It's nice to know that this combo exists somewhere other than my imagination! I decided not to mention to him that he had been the subject of one of my posts and instead chatted about the show and the people we knew in common. I post him today because the friend who introduced us, Michi Barall, is having her play, "Rescue Me" produced Off-Broadway, and I am really thrilled.

In the current cultural climate in which almost every show on and Off- Broadway is written by a white man, it is a hopeful sign to me that Michi's play is getting produced by Ma-Yi Theater at the Ohio. Previews start tomorrow, and I am looking forward to going, even if there is no shirtlessness at all. Of course, let's face it, I am hoping that there is a little bit of shirtlessness. But sometimes one has to support multiple causes in order to get anything done. I support good male shirtlessness and diversity in the theater. Let's see what we can do on these issues. Now that health care reform has passed, I feel hopeful that change is possible. Until then, I remain...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: