Monday, March 29, 2010

Some Evil Shirtlessness?



Since I spent so much time last week on the theater in New York, I did neglect my shows and this recent development on DH which I suspect will turn into some very good shirtlessness. John Barrowman has joined the cast of DH for a reported 6 episodes to stir up some trouble as Danny Bolen's biological father, and as we can see in the above picture from "Dr. Who," he should definitely take his shirt off. Actually, when he was on last week, I thought that they had done a great job casting someone who really looked like he could be Danny Bolen's father. He definitely looks like trouble which is par for the course at season finale time. I wonder what havoc Mr. Barrowman will wreak on Wisteria Lane.

In tracking him down on the internet, I learned that Mr. Barrowman is an openly gay actor in Hollywood which I find refreshing. I've always thought it was so strange that in New York the theater community is stereotyped as being predominantly gay, and yet on the West Coast, one would be hard-pressed to find an openly gay actor anywhere. The reasons may have something to do with the double-standard in the entertainment industry elucidated in this article in the Irish Times. Hollywood rewards acting gay, but not actually being gay. For women, I feel that the reward is in playing ugly but not ever appearing in public without a freshly injected face and a perfectly assembled outfit. So bravo to Mr. Barrowman for daring to be himself in public, and bravo to DH for casting him in a heterosexual role. Now if only they would allow Bob and Lee to do more than drink cosmos and pine for the trappings of heterosexual marriage on every third episode, and allow Katherine to come back to Wisteria Lane proving that it is actually less socially acceptable to frame your neighbor for attempted murder than being a lesbian, wouldn't that be something?

And if they could do all of these things and have the men take their shirts off, that would be even better! Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: