Friday, December 16, 2011

Merry Christmas, Singapore

A new IMS member recently sent me an article about the opening of a new Abercrombie & Fitch flagship store in Singapore which featured 40 shirtless men. The pictures attached to article made it look like there were more Asian men involved in the opening which would make sense in Singapore, but this picture looks a little bit like the American stage, very homogenous. I'm hoping that there were lots of hunky Asian hotties inside giving some good shirtlessness.

I didn't post on Monday for two reasons. 1) I was doing a workshop of a hilarious new play that rehearsed and performed all day long, and 2) I wanted to the article about "Motherf***ker with the Hat" to stay up for longer than three days. This turn of events in the theater has truly affected me and my psyche. I find myself becoming much more agitated when I talk about race in the theater which was actually the topic of the new play that I was working on. An audience member at the reading asked me why so many plays by playwrights of color have to do with race, and I found myself red in the face and flabbergasted. Perhaps because race has a profound affect on how one navigates through the world, especially when one is not the race of the dominant culture? I mean what does one say to that? Race- it's an issue.

So with that, I will make a wish that there will be more diverse shirtlessness in 2012. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: