Monday, November 19, 2012

Military Shirtlessness

Gentle readers, I'm having a military moment.  Yesterday, I took part in the Day of Service organized by the Clinton Global Initiative to provide help to the citizens of New York City who continue to be effected by Hurricane Sandy.  While Manhattan has almost returned to normal, just outside the commercial center of the city are communities that still have no electricity or running water three weeks after the storm.  The Clinton Initiative organized over 1000 volunteers to lend some much needed help to these communities that are struggling to salvage what they can from the storm's path.  My bus load of volunteers was paired with a group of Marines from Team Rubicon, a service organization for retired military personnel, to help home owners fix their homes.  Watching these ex-Marines mobilize their groups to do good was really inspiring, and I won't lie - I definitely wished my team leader Marine would take off his shirt while he was hoisting a sopping wet washing machine out of a flooded basement.  I think public service is an excellent accessory to shirtlessness.  But seriously, working with a group of veterans gave me a moment's perspective on how the military can use its skills to get big jobs done.  A group of 30 volunteers was able to take down all the dry wall in one man's house in just a couple of hours so that he can begin the process of rebuilding.  It was humbling and inspiring.  There is still so much left to do that I encourage all IMS members to make an effort to help out.  There may not be any shirtlessness, but there is certainly a great feeling in helping people in crisis.

So in honor of our ex-Marine team leaders, I offer you a remake of a Britney Spears video.  I have a soft spot in my heart for them.  Would you hold it against me?

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: