Monday, November 5, 2012

Hurricane Shirtlessness

Sorry for the lack of posts last week. While Frankenstorm Sandy did not disrupt my power (I'm a very lucky girl), she did displace two of my friends, one of whom is the vice president of IMS, to my apartment. So for the past week, the three of us have been living in a one bedroom apartment which has been cozy to say the least. I'm happy to report that our fearless VP is a fantastic dishwasher, but for some reason, he would not take off his shirt while cleaning up the kitchen. I think he didn't want me to feel his loss too greatly when his power returns. Too late, I have been spoiled thinking that I can cook anything and have the dishes magically disappear for a week. It almost makes me hope his power will never come back!

In other news, I did spend time on Friday afternoon volunteering to take food and water to people who had been stranded on the upper floors of powerless buildings. Carrying food and water up 22 flights of stairs has given me a new appreciation for firefighters and the special kind of fitness it takes to do that work.  While many people had evacuated, there were still a fair number of people in high rises on the East side, mostly elderly, and they were very grateful for the sustenance that we brought to them.  It was probably one of the best afternoons of my life, feeling like I could really help people in need.  For those of you not in the greater New York area, please know that the devastation is real, and still so many people are in need.  Please consider donating to the Red Cross here.  Shirtlessness is enjoyable only when it's a choice.

On a lighter note, another IMS member sent this clip to me of storm-related shirtlessness.  I can't say I understand why someone would take a run in a hurricane at all, much shirtless and wearing a horse head, but it does take all kinds.  Enjoy!  And don't forget to vote tomorrow!

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: