Friday, April 19, 2013

More Commercial Shirtlessness


Our work has not been for naught, dear IMS members.  It seems that corporate America has finally caught on to the idea that they should make ads geared towards women who do the majority of household purchasing instead of hocking stuff with bikini-clad models.  No doubt, bikini-clad models sell a lot of stuff, but the introduction of the Old Spice Guy campaign apparently doubled sales of Old Spice.  I'm just sayin... So to encourage the trend of excellent shirtlessness in advertising, I give you the latest Diet Coke add which frankly smacks of "Call Me Maybe" in my opinion.  I'm impressed that the subtle message embedded in this ad is not only that Diet Coke will inspire men to take their shirts off but also that Diet Coke if spilled all over an individual will make him appear to be sweating rather than sticky.  Neat trick Diet Coke.  I remember the Cindy Crawford Pepsi commercial from back in the day and am grateful that 20 years later someone thought to make a soft drink commercial to please me.  I wonder if we'll have to wait another 20 years for there to be more than one token non-white person in the commercial or for the object of desire to be of an ethnicity other than Caucasian.  Baby steps, I know.  At least there will be more shirtlessness to comfort me while I wait.

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: