Monday, July 29, 2013

Shirtless is the New Topless

Okay, I admit that in the past week, I have watched the entire season of "Orange Is the New Black" on Netflix, falling for their evil marketing strategy to make me watch their streaming videos all day long.  I'm going to tell you that ever since I switched to streaming only, I have been disappointed in the selection of movies.  Let's face it, no Ryan Gosling shirtless films are available on streaming.  But with the advent of their Netflix Original series, "Orange Is the New Black," I have been converted back to a happy Netfliz subscriber.  The show challenges all kinds of assumptions we make about people who are convicted of crimes, women in general, racism, sexism, societal power structures, and even the human heart.  I basically binge watched the entire season, mostly on a Saturday night.  It's sad, I know, but honestly the last time I went out on a Saturday night the only single man I met was someone who had already slept with one of my friends.  Why not stay home and watch an interesting show that tells the stories of women and also features the adorable Matt McGorry as one of the few men in the prison?  He even takes his shirt off in one episode, during which I clapped.  His character is sweet, if clueless, and sometimes shirtless; what more could I want on a Saturday night?  I try not to dwell on the fact that the only show on tv about women right now takes place in a prison; I'm just grateful that there are women who are all the colors of the rainbow in this show and that all of their stories get told.  I'm hooked on the series, and I hope that some of you gentle readers will be as well.  Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: