Monday, December 7, 2009

Where It All Began

It's that time of year when I get very nostalgic for modern dance because the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater is performing at City Center. I moved to New York to become a dancer and spent my first years here at the Alvin Ailey school. I spent the better part of my first Christmas season at City Center watching the company, one of the perks of working as the assistant to the Executive Director while a student at the school. I remember being moved to tears in almost every single performance, and even now, many years later, the effect they have on me is just the same.

The program I saw last night included lots of good male shirtlessness. The first piece, Festa Barocca, choreographed by Mario Bigonzetti, featured an entirely shirtless male ensemble. I was especially grateful to hear that other IMS members were in the house when they applauded the section in which all the men entered the stage on the cue of the lead dancer, the fierce Hope Boykin, snapping her fingers. Of course, all of us were gratified by the duet of the above pictured Clifton Brown (shirtless) and Constance Stamatiou(wearing a shirt). Their pas de deux emphasized the intense athleticism of dance and showcased how strength, precision, and technique can come together to make art. What really struck me about last night's performance was how well matched the men and women in the company were. Each partnering paired equals, an inspiration in an unbalanced world.

After last night's performance, I reflected on how long good male shirtlessness has been a part of my aesthetic. I was 14 the first time I saw the Ailey company, and I remember the "Sinner Man" section of the masterpiece "Revelations" (the piece with three stunning and shirtless male dancers performing feats of wonder) being my favorite even then. The search for good male shirtlessness started way back then! It continues on, and if you are in need of a fix this Christmas season, I highly recommend you check out the company at City Center until January 3. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: