Friday, July 2, 2010

Diverse Shirtlessness

Today, I am reposting a photo from earlier this spring to reveal the identity of the man with the fierce back tats - Louis Changchien. I await his publicist to send me some photos from the front, but I am assured that the shirtlessness is good in 360. Knowing Louis also helps. I tried to convince him to take off his shirt in his last play, Michael Golamco's "Year Zero" at Second Stage Theater this spring, but alas, the director did not agree with my suggestion. In any case, Louis continues to exhibit both good shirtlessness and its ultimate accessory, an amazing and kind heart. After all the shirtlessness is only the wrapping of the real thing.

Apparently, Louis should also be very happy that he was cast in an Asian role instead of having his part played by a Caucasian actor in yellowface. My facebook page was alight this morning with outrage over the new M. Night Shyamalan movie, "The Last Airbender," in which all the heroic characters with Asian names are played by white actors, and the evil characters with Asian names are played by Asian actors. I continue to be amazed by how slowly time moves with these issues. In 2010, it is still acceptable for Caucasian actors to impersonate other races, and yet, ethnic actors are not allowed to play outside the very narrow stereotypes of their own societally-imposed racial identities. I am aghast.

Luckily for me, my show is opening tonight, and I feel very blessed that a brown woman like myself has the opportunity to play a brown woman in a musical. I also feel very lucky that I get to work with a wonderful cast and an amazing creative team. I'll keep hoping for small miracles! Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: