Friday, July 16, 2010

Old Spicy Shirtlessness



I can't help myself, but these ads make me laugh. I've never actually seen one on tv, but they are quite the internet sensation. I say, Old Spice, keep them coming. These commercials prey on my weakness for good shirtlessness and my classic female fantasy of wanting a man who can speak in full sentences and bake a cake. I realize that I have essentially described half of my gays friends, but alas, even this gay icon is looking for something else, and apparently that is the Old Spice Man.

I'm in my final weekend of performances here at the Hangar Theatre in Ithaca, NY, and feeling a little bit sad about closing a show that I could easily run for longer. It has been such a lovely summer in upstate New York, unbearable heat wave aside. The show ends with the cast singing "Impossible Dream" which one of my cast mates has described as the "Actor's Anthem," and I find it impossible not to cry when singing it. For those of us who have taken the road less traveled, sometimes reflecting on that journey can be bittersweet. So I head into my last three shows with a lot of gratitude for my time on the stage and a deep longing for more.

That attitude transfers somewhat to IMS, where the search for great shirtlessness is never over. Keep dreaming the Impossible Dream, brave members, and one day we might surprise ourselves with the new world that we create. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: