Monday, December 6, 2010

It's That Time of Year



Every December, I have to post something from the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in honor of their City Center season. Every year, I go and am astounded by the sheer virtuosity of the dancers as well as the amazing shirtlessness on display every single performance. I went to see the company last night and was not disappointed. Artistic Director Designate, Robert Battle, choreographed a piece called "The Hunt," excerpts of which you can see above as performed by Ailey II, featuring six shirtless men in all of their athletic glory. I am excited that Mr. Battle chose to feature the dancers in this way and feel this is a sign of good things to come when he takes over as Artistic Director next season. Since I always see a program featuring "Revelations," Mr. Ailey's masterpiece, I am always guaranteed some shirtlessness in the section called "Sinner Man" (still my all-time favorite piece of choreography), but truly last night's program topped all my wildest expectations.

Dance is my first love and my way into the theater. I don't see as much as I used to, being so ensconced in the theater now, but every time I go, I am reminded of how beautiful each individual can be. Watching a large company of dancers dance in unison always amazes me. They can be all together in the movement, and yet each one does it in his or her own way. And each way is beautiful. I like going to the theater and to dance to remember that. We all have our own way, and each of us can be beautiful. I keep holding on to that and hope that you will, too.

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: