Monday, August 20, 2012

A Short History of Shirtlessness

Continuing with my Bollywood theme, I thought I would share this video detailing the shirtless evolution of another Indian star, Salman Khan.  Not only does he appear shirtless in every movie, but he also finds inventive ways to take his shirt off.  Note the role of wind, fire, and water in some of his later shirtless scenes.  Apparently, he is one of the pioneers of shirtlessness in Bollywood and has now embraced his torso for good clean fun.  Considering that one rarely sees anyone kiss in Bollywood films, I find the addition of shirtlessness to these movie musicals a welcome addition. Hurray for Bollywood!

Apparently, shirtlessness has become so embedded in the Bollywood aesthetic that most actors coming to Bollywood regard getting in shape as a given.  Oh happy day!  I read this fascinating article in the New York Times and thought that Bollywood is probably more like Hollywood than anyone wants to admit.  Celebrity trainers?  Check!

In any case, I am slowly returning back to my EST schedule and hoping to find some good new shirtlessness soon.  All this summer travel has caused me to miss a lot of blockbusters that are usually excellent sources of shirtlessness.  I have a lot of catching up to do!  Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: