Friday, February 22, 2013

What a Man!


February has officially kicked my butt, gentle IMS members.  Between the freezing grey weather, the horrible flu, and the overall lack of shirtlessness, I have just about had it.  I've been trying to figure out whether it is better to keep a stiff upper lip (as the folks on Downton would say) or be brutally honest when people ask me how I am.  As you can see above, I've chosen honesty.  And honestly, this winter stinks.  But let me share with you a gift I received through honesty.  One friend who knew I was having a hard time sent me this video, reminding me of happy days in the early 90s when I used to listen to Salt-n-Pepa obsessively.  Watching this video brought a smile to my face, and seeing it through the lens of good male shirtlessness only showed me that my preferences were there all along.

I understand that Salt has become a born-again Christian and disavows some of the lyrics from her hip-hip days which is too bad, because even 20 years later, the lyrics of their songs still seem empowering to me.  Here are three ladies talking about what they like in a partner and owning it.  They celebrate themselves and the good men in their lives.  They think it is important for their partners to be good lovers, good friends, and good friends to their friends. You are not going to see any of the ladies on "Girls" asking for that.  So hey 1993!  Thanks for making me smile!

May all of you ask for what you want and receive it.  Until then, I continue to be...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: