Monday, March 4, 2013

Shirtless in Shakespeare


Over the weekend, I went to see Theatre for a New Audience's production of "Much Ado About Nothing" with some of my fellow actors and IMS members who did the show with me a few seasons ago.  We all love the play, not just because we did it, but because we have a soft spot for the verbal jousting of Beatrice and Benedick which in my mind is the pre-cursor to all the rom-coms that we watch on film now.  And the person whose verbal gymnastics made us swoon was Jonathan Cake in the leading role of Benedick.  Now some of you may remember him from DH as the evil cop who briefly dated Bree.  He freaked me out in that show, and so I was feeling a little bit apprehensive before the show.  One of my seat mates remembered him from Lincoln Center's production of "Cymbeline" in which he had a prolonged shirtless scene.  He won me over in the first scene of Much Ado, and I spent the rest of the show wishing he would take his shirt off, even though I knew he wouldn't.  The chemistry in Much Ado comes from its witty banter, not from nudity.  It did make me think that a man who can both speak the language of the Bard and take his shirt off is one sexy man indeed!

Wishing you witty banter or good shirtlessness in the week to come, if not both!

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: