Friday, September 5, 2008

Modern Shirtlessness


I was having drinks with some friends of mine whom I met back when I was a modern dancer and who are now IMS members in excellent standing, and we were discussing a certain modern dancer who has always exhibited excellent male shirtlessness, Desmond Richardson. Looking back, I realize that he had a profound impact on my conception of good male shirtlessness since he was probably one of the first male dancers I ever saw shirtless. And wow! It's incredible that I ever enjoyed anyone else's physique at all considering my repeated exposure to Mr. Richardson's amazing torso. He can also do split leaps that extend beyond 180 degrees which is simply inhuman. I saw him first when he was with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and followed his career as he moved to the Frankfurt Ballet and then Broadway. Some of you may have recognized him from the movie of "Chicago" oozing next to Renee Zellweger in the "Roxie Hart" number.Currently you can see him performing with the company he co-founded, Complexions. Looking at his picture now, I think "Oh yeah, that's when I developed my fondness for the serratus muscle." (If you don't know what one that is, look it up; it's a good one.) Ah, good male shirtlessness...

I have just returned from a trip to Buffalo, NY, to visit my parents. Mostly when I return to my hometown, I feel that any shirtlessness I see there is rather unfortunate given that the local specialties are chicken wings and beef on weck and most people do not see the sun very often. But I was pleasantly surprised to see some very good male shirtlessness displayed on front lawns everywhere as a sort of Labor Day ritual. Let's go Buffalo! Way to make the most of the good weather!

I am starting to see some ads for the fall line up, and I have to say that I may be lured back into watching "Private Practice" by the promise of Tim Daly taking of his shirt. Taye Diggs should never wear a shirt, but I know that those pesky networks execs will insist on his wearing a shirt to preserve what flimsy reality exists on that show. But some fleeting moments of good shirtlessness there would make up for the fact that Eric Dane really never took his shirt off last season on GA. And I can't wait to see what they cook up on "Desperate Housewives." I will report more when I get some news. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
IMS

No comments: