Friday, September 2, 2011

You Know You Want It

I've spent most of today trying to figure out what to post for my last posting from Ithaca, and then, like a dream (or an email) it came to me - a production shot of Rocky. This photo is a production still from the moment when Rocky's torso and most of the rest of him is revealed. The audience tends to start cheering loudly at this point in the show. Who wouldn't? Quite honestly, the entire ensemble starts panting at the back of the stage. Night after night, we know it's coming, and yet we almost can't believe it when it happens. I'm still a little bit sad that the director didn't let me rip his shirt off, but I guess artistic integrity and storytelling do have to take precedence over giving the president of IMS a perk in the theater.

In any case, the show closes tomorrow night, and I will definitely be sad to see it end. Besides the fact that I often wander backstage with shirtless men, I really love doing the show. The first half is a crazy aerobic workout for the ensemble, and there is something really fun about a show that charges through 90 minutes without a backward glance. I've never done a show that made so little sense, and I think it has helped me to enjoy the moment a little bit more. So I'm going to live it up for the next three shows, and I hope that all of you gentle readers will find something to relish too. In case you have trouble finding something, may I offer this article from the venerable Time Magazine about the greatest shirtless scenes in movie history. I'm glad to know that shirtlessness has made it to the subject matter of Time! Obviously our cause is going mainstream!

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: