Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Muhammad Ali!

When I was a child, I imagine that my first exposure to shirtlessness was through boxing, a sport which my dad followed enthusiastically. I was not crazy about watching two men beat each other up, but my dad really did and so I would watch a little bit with him. And of course, the bouts that we watched were the big fights of Muhammad Ali. Mr. Ali turned 70 on Tuesday, and I saw a segment about him on my morning television show. I called my dad after seeing it who asked me why Muhammad Ali inspired me to call.

"I remember those fights, Dad. They were a big deal."
"Yes, Nandit, they were a big deal."

He continues to be a mythic figure for me, someone who stuck to his own path no matter what. He spoke without fear and did what he wanted to do, even when it was wildly unpopular like being a conscientious objector to the Vietnam War. I admire him for that and the fact that his path involved not wearing a shirt. Happy 70th Birthday, Mr. Ali! You inspire with your courage and fortitude.

With respect,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: