Monday, January 23, 2012

Shirless Dance (Tanz)

I had the great good fortune this weekend to see the Wim Wenders film, "Pina." The film was filmed with two things I really like, thought-provoking modern dance and male shirtlessness. I saw the 3D version which I must say filled me with skepticism, especially when the ticket taker told me that the price was $17. But as I watched the film at Lincoln Center, I realized that unlike many people in the US, I primarily see modern dance live, and seeing the film in 3D brought it closer to my other experiences of dance. Of course, most people in the US do not see modern dance at all which is a shame. I think everyone can benefit from watching a wordless form of expression, if only to learn that one can communicate without words. In any case, the above shot is a production still from Bausch's "Le Sacre du Printemps" which was featured quite prominently in the film. A lot of shirtlessness for sure as well as a lot of peat moss which covered the entire surface of the stage.

I am not terribly familiar with Bausch's work, but after the film I feel that I must see it live. Although Ms. Bausch has passed on, I hope that her work will continue to be performed. Her integration of the set into her choreography is unmatched in the dance world, and I'm sure seeing it live is nothing short of miraculous. Let's continue to hope then for miracles. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: