Friday, June 20, 2008

From Here to Shirtlessness

Since no one has offered any opinions on Classic Male Shirtlessness, I thought I would start things with this classic image from a movie that I have never seen but a scene I have witnessed a thousand times. I don't know when I first saw it, but I know it was used to represent sexiness sometime in my childhood. Notice how Burt Lancaster is shirtless, even in 1953. This image is probably where it all started for me.

Other topics from past posts, I must print a correction about the red card rule in soccer. I misunderstood the IMS VP when he described this rule to me in my excitement over a sporting rule that demanded shirtlessness. I now understand that red cards simply eject the player it is given to from the field. If said player is a goalie, he has to give his jersey to another player so that that player can take over his goalkeeping duties. Why the number of the goalie is so important is beyond me, but I'm happy that it keeps a possibility of good shirtlessness out there, although I am also told that soccer players have lately taken to wearing tight t-shirts under their jerseys. I'm sure this is very nice on its own, but we all know that if I were in the stadium when a goalie took off his jersey to reveal another shirt, I would be screaming "Take your shirt off." I don't care how tight it is.

Also, I saw a beautiful play last night at the New Group called "Rafta Rafta." In addition to be well-written, warm, funny, and well-acted, this play featured some good male shirtlessness of an Indian nature. So an IMS shout out goes to the cast of this lovely production that will be running one more week at Theater Row.

Off to bed so that I can find some goalies to give red cards to tomorrow. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

www.snopes.com/movies.actors/gable1.asp

If you really want to take it back, you have to go to 'It Happened One Night.' The original Americanized Romantic comedy in which Clark Gable (though not my cup of tea) appears shirtless and there is a claim that undershirt sales dropped.

Stay fabulous.