Friday, October 10, 2008

Shirtlessness in the Shower

While this picture is not from last night's episode of "Ugly Betty," it does feature an important element of great shirtlessness - a towel. Have not some of the best examples of televised shirtlessness involved a towel? (I am obviously referring to McSteamy's delicious entrance on GA two seasons ago!) I was thrilled to get an entire shower scene with Eddie Cibrian last night. I'm not going to lie - it made me happy to watch him soap up and then get discovered by Betty's dad. The scene combined two of my favorite elements of the show and maybe of life - shirtlessness and humor. In any case, one IMS member reported to me that Mr. Cibrian seems to have a shower scene in every show he does, and I applaud him for accentuating the positive and using his assets. While the Coach/Hilda storyline has the potential to bore me to tears ("He's going to leave his wife, Betty" cut to Betty handing her a copy of "Smart Women, Foolish Choices"), keeping the Coach shirtless will certainly prolong my tolerance for the marital infidelity storyline, although probably only for a week. Or two.

Other updates - I forced myself to watch "Private Practice" again and was rewarded for my patience with completely implausible storylines with a nice shot of Taye Diggs shirtless. He has a very nice torso and should show it on the show more often. That would certainly make it easier for me to believe that a shrink, an OB/GYN, and homeopath could set up an office together and actually make money by sharing patients. I realize that one should not turn to prime time television for a realistic depiction of medecine, but creating an even moderately plausible premise would be nice. This does not mean turning the surfing receptionist into a mid-wife.

Also, I watched "Lipstick Jungle" which sadly did not feature any male shirtlessness but did include a scene Lindsay Price sashaying about in her underwear. As she stalked up a ladder in her bra and tap pants, I had to ask myself "Does anyone at NBC think that straight men watch this show?" There was a brief hint of shirtlessness when the man she was prancing around for took off his shirt, but it was hardly long enough to count. NBC needs to rethink its stratgey on this one; a show about three female executives who are BFF's that share all their juicy romantic gossip needs male shirtlessness and lots of it, not a Pussycat Doll video.

I'm excited for DH this week and the cat fight between Susan and Gabby. I'm hoping the gay couple will be taking pictures of that with their cell phones as well. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: