Friday, October 17, 2008

Shirtlessness + Pillow = Happy Nandita

At last, my shirtlessness quota was fulfilled last night by "Grey's Anatomy" with two happily shirtless scenes of my favorite, Patrick Dempsey. Not a minute too soon, either, since I haven't had any good shirtlessness since last Thursday's "Ugly Betty." I'm not going to say "you had me at hello" to GA, but I think it is definitely on its way back into my good graces, if for nothing more than McDreamy being shirtless behind a pink pillow and Dr. Bailey's fantastic stare down at Callie's confession. These two moments highlight why I liked the show in the first place: 1) McDreamy shirtless in his non-manscaped but oh so dreamy way, and 2) Female characters who are both tough and vulnerable and can be both of these qualities even if they are of color. Watching Bailey lead interns around the hospital while screaming about how she has perfected the "Don't talk to me about sex" look was hilarious, followed by an amazingly touching scene of her trying to talk to Callie about lesbian sex via the metaphor of international travel. This is the stuff of an enjoyable Thursday night.

Also, I have to give a shout out to GA for the hilarious portrait of dermatology last night in a turn that no hospital show has taken since I've been watching them. From the soft focus lens on the camera to the pastel scrubs, these scenes were so hilarious to me, mostly because when I was little, my mom used to tell me "Don't become a doctor, but if you do, become a dermatologist so that you can just prescribe cream to everyone." I don't think she was hoping that I would become into an actor instead of a physician. Oh well! Anyway, to be fair, I have enjoyed my few visits to the dermatologist, especially for the nice creams that he has given me and the very nice antibiotic pads that he gave my college roomate to eradicate her occasional pimples. Those pads were the gateway to clear skin for 4 years. Actually, maybe I should go back for more since apparently they now serve fruity water. For whatever reason, I have only seen male dermatologists even though almost all my other doctors are women. Hmmm...

Anyway, I'm hoping that someone besides Carlos takes off his shirt on Sunday's DH and that maybe Justin will throw me a bone and take his shirt off on B&S. Or at least there will be more interesting scenes between him and Rebecca and less dull scenes between Kitty and Robert whining at each other about their wonderful love. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: