Monday, February 23, 2009

Indians and Shirtlessness!

I did see "Milk" yesterday just before the Oscars, and I was so glad that I caught it. This film featured a lot of shirtlessness, including some from James Franco, pictured above shirtless in a costume drama, and a message that was deeply moving. I found myself tearing up almost through the whole film, possibly from seeing how much has changed in 20 years time and how little. I loved Sean Penn's Oscar speech last night and have to recommend the movie to everyone. Tolerance and understanding are great messages to spread, and if good shirtlessness can help spread that message, then hooray!

Another hooray for "Slumdog Millionaire" which cleaned up quite nicely on the Oscars as well. I was delighted to see some fellow Indian artists accepting their most deserved recognition last night, and while my cultural heritage is decidedly more American than Indian, I can't help but feel some ethnic pride when the desis were up on stage. And I may be the only one to say this, but I thought that Irfan Khan should have been nominated in the Best Supporting Actor category. He is amazing in everything that he does, and I hope this film will help him get the recognition that he deserves.

So I am recovering from what turned into quite an emotional day for me. I always cry in awards ceremonies just from the magic of seeing someone's dream come true, and last night's ceremony was no exception. I have very little left to say other than hoping that 2009 will bring us another such crop of films with important stories and messages to tell that include people from all walks of life. And if these stories include some good male shirtlessness, then all the better! Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: