Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Shirtlessness



In honor of Labor Day and in recognition of the fact that women make 77 cents to the male dollar and that number goes down dependent on the woman's race, I give you Toni Braxton's "You're Making Me High" video. What does a song from the 90's have to do with national holidays or sobering economic circumstances? Well in this video not only does sassy Toni Braxton rock a white jumpsuit being one of the few women who will be photographed in head to toe white, but also the video features her and her lady friends getting together for girls' night after work and ordering up pizzas and shirtless boys whom they all rate. I believe I have referenced this video as the theme for next year's birthday party. If I had a birthday party like this, I will say that I would feel a little bit better about the fact that I seem to have to work very hard for not very much money. It's the little things. But in all honesty, I wanted to take this holiday to remind all the members of IMS that we started out as a group about equality, and it is important not to lose sight of this important value.

I plan on spending my day working on my play about women and power in politics before heading to my dress rehearsal for the women's play festival that I am acting in this month. These seem like good things to do on Labor Day. I have a friend who has actually gone into labor today, giving new meaning to the holiday! Whatever it means to you, enjoy and take a moment to do something for good male shirtlessness. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: