Friday, October 15, 2010

Shirtless Male Swans

Tonight I am going to see Matthew Bourne's "Swan Lake" for some guaranteed good ballet shirtlessness. I saw the original Broadway production in 1999 and am excited to return to see a new cast. Of course, seeing a new cast 11 years later does offer a pause about the nature of dance and the human body. Swan Lake undoubtedly celebrates the beauty of the male form as you can see above, but I do wonder what happened to all the gorgeous forms I saw the last time around and whether any of those dancers can still do what they did in 1999. I know plenty of dancers with careers that span far more than 11 years, and yet in the twilight of my own dance career when I notice places aching that never ached before, I feel a longing for those original swans and the wonder that accompanied them for doing what no one had ever seen before. These nostalgic thoughts will of course be forgotten at the theater when I will be enthralled all over again!

Brava to GA last night for making Jesse Williams take his shirt off twice! Why he hasn't done it sooner is beyond me. Clearly, we are being prepared for his love life, which I welcome. I'm not sure who he will bed, but I feel certain that romance is coming. And brava for letting Teddy say something sassy back. I like Kim Raver and have been wishing that she had more to do than be longing and damaged. Good for her! Finally brava to GA for allowing Derek and Meredith to have a normal relationship for more than a season. I think it's nice to see how a relationship continues to evolve and need work even after "I do." I much prefer it to when Meredith was dead for three weeks.

Okay, H5-0, I enjoyed the clever way Alex O'Loughlin took off his shirt in Monday's episode, but please make the writing better. I'm not clear why the Asian people barely get to speak on this show, but I'd like to say it would be a better show if they did. Poor Grace Kim gets about three sentences an episode. I feel certain that she can do a lot more than type on a computer and say "Okay boss." And CBS, if you don't want to invest in better plots for H5-0, then please make Alex O'Loughlin, Daniel Dae Kim, and Scott Cahn take off their shirts for longer, much longer.

Off to yoga to prepare myself for excellent shirtlessness tonight. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: