Monday, October 18, 2010

Shirtlessness As We Know It

The subways have been sporting some good shirtlessness lately in the form of Josh Duhamel in the poster for "Life As We Know It." Although the movie does look like predictable romantic comedy fare, I am happy for any movie with a shirtless poster to be be running in the theaters. It makes my day much nicer. Actually, I don't know why I haven't posted Mr. Duhamel sooner. The few interviews that I have read suggest that he does not take himself too seriously, always an excellent accessory to shirtlessness, and judging from the above photo, he definitely meets the Two Point Standard. Also, I met him once a very long time ago when I was an extra in his scene of "All My Children," and he was the one regular from the show who went around and said hello to every actor on the set. Classy!

"Swan Lake" did feature quite a few shirtless swans, and I think that while none of those swans had seen the sun in a very long time, I will still qualify them as having excellent shirtlessness. While the production was as beautiful as I remember it, it did not quite pack the same emotional punch I remember from the first time, perhaps because I was seated at quite a distance compared to the intimacy of a Broadway theater. I was very happy to see a dancer that I knew from class in the production as the Queen. Perhaps my meditations on the brevity of a dance career were a bit premature. After seeing her performance, I cannot imagine that she will be done any time soon.

DH and B&S offered rather predictable fare this week. While Kitty's new love does look promising in the shirtlessness department, I'm not sure if I can bear to listen to her stutter about how hard it is to love in order to achieve it. Again, I think that my standards are definitely going up because now I find that simply taking one's shirt off is not enough; one needs to say something either witty, clever, or cute in order to satisfy me. With that in mind, I am not holding my breath for tonight's episode of H5-0. But ever the optimist, I'll watch and have a little hope. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: