Sunday, October 24, 2010

What We Want

So I caught up on GA this weekend and was disturbed to find that the male shirtlessness on this week's episode involved man boobs. This was not the kind of shirtlessness that I was hoping for. I was thinking something more along the lines of the above photo except with sincerity this time. There is nothing I love more than sincere good male shirtlessness. Well, okay, I love sincere good male shirtlessness accompanied by water even more, but I digress. The point is that looking at a 13 year old boy with a glandular problem is not what IMS is advocating. We are advocating for Jesse Williams taking off his shirt in pursuit of another surgeon that he loves and admires. Let's try not to lose sight of our goal.

The theater company on whose Board I sit is having its annual benefit tomorrow, and so I am posting early in order to make sure that I am fulfilling all my obligations. While I am sure no one will take off his shirt and make me happy at tomorrow night's benefit, I do think that the party will be a great success. When organizing these types of events for companies that I am involved with, I do tend to think about the meaning and point of theater and whether the amount of work I put into it is worth it. After all, television pays more and reaches many more people. Theater artists seem to be on the bottom of the heap of the entertainment profession. And yet I keep doing it because I believe there is something magical about being in the room with the artists that you can't get from tv or film. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to breathe the same air as the audience and feel the response from the room immediately. Also, the shirtlessness is much better live.

So my charge to you this week, IMS members, is to think about the theater in your area and perhaps find a way to partake in it. And then tell me if it really is magic to be in the room with the artists or if I am crazy. I look forward to your responses. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: