Monday, November 14, 2011

Shirts off on Broadway?

After seeing a show this weekend, some lady friends and I went out and discussed the theater at large as well as shows that we would like to see. One friend mentioned that she had tickets to see "Stick Fly" on Broadway, to which I responded that I hoped Mekhi Pfifer who is in the cast would take off his shirt. Now that movie and television stars come so regularly to Broadway, I feel that it is only logical that there will be more shirtlessness on the Great White Way. One can hope. One can also hope that one day the Great White Way will be a commentary on the bright lights of Broadway rather than the race of most of the actors. But thank you "Stick Fly" and a few other shows like "Chinglish" and "Porgy & Bess" that are working on changing the stats of racial diversity in the commercial theater. It has always seemed odd to me that theater in a wildly diverse city like New York can remain so homogenous.

In other news, I did not see "The Immortals" this weekend. I'm saving it for Thanksgiving week when I am sure that my family will cause me to need two hours of good shirtlessness at some point. Instead, the Vice President of IMS and I spent an evening at Ann Taylor Loft picking out outfits for the holiday season. The irony of the President and Vice President of IMS shopping for women's blouses is not lost on me, but alas, sometimes one really does need a shirt. Lest we forget, IMS is an advocacy group formed in response to years of female shirtlessness seen in movies as well as in response to a certain episode of DH, back when that show was good. Good male shirtlessness does bring balance back to the entertainment industry and spread happiness to many. Keep doing your good work, gentle members. I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: