Monday, November 7, 2011

The Threat of Shirtlessness


Disclaimer: There is no actual shirtlessness in the above video clip, but the mere hint of shirtlessness to come delighted me. Honestly, I'm not really that hard to please. I laughed out loud when I saw this commercial and thought that I had to post it. Shirtlessness can be used for humor too!

Unfortunately, I missed SNL this weekend in spite of this cute promo because I was seeing some in person shirtlessness at the theater on Saturday night. I went to see Leviathan Lab's inaugural production of "Twelfth Night" at the Arclight Theater on West 71st Street, and I am happy to report that there was an unexpected but very enjoyable bit of shirtlessness in the show. I always think that shirtlessness compliments the Bard, and 12N really proved this point. Another point that the production proved was that using an entirely Asian cast of actors does not alter the delight of the play. Having had many conversations recently with my fellow Asian actors about how often casting us in non-specific roles is viewed in the industry as "political," I was particularly curious to see how this production's casting would affect the meaning of the play, if it would politicize it. While Shakespeare is often set in different times and places in many productions, this production inspired by 1960s Hong Kong told the timeless stories of lovers and families split apart and brought back together in an accessible and comprehensive way. I had a great time at the show, not in the least because of some good male shirtlessness on display in Act II. I hope some of you IMS members will get out there to support it.

The theater increasingly has become a place for new male shirtlessness. I wonder what this coming week will hold. I am in anxious anticipation! Until next time, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: