Monday, November 28, 2011

Shirtlessness for Good and Not Evil

In my excitement to report that even my mother believes in male shirtlessness, I forgot to post about the shirtlessness that I cooked up over Thanksgiving. My writers' group, the Ma-Yi Writers' Lab, hosted a benefit last night to raise funds for a much needed new copier. As you can imagine, 17 playwrights sharing one printer/copier has not made for an effortless printing of pages every Thursday night, and we have officially killed the one we had. So in effort to buy a new one, we threw a little shindig on the stage of the Connelly Theater, current home of Ma-Yi's production of "The Sugar House at the Edge of the Wilderness." Each playwright was tasked with writing a 5 page play which contained a Labbie secret. I realized that this was my opportunity to use shirtlessness for good and not evil. We need a new printer; people will pay money to see hot guys with no shirts. So I wrote a play with roles for 5 shirtless men.

Let me say that our fine cast of actors did not disappoint. 5 men took off their shirts so that our lab could print out our pages at will. I am so proud of them for their brave work. One did a short but sensual strip tease. Another used his shirt like a stripper pole. A third, the above pictured Louis Ozawa Changchien, gave shirtlessness with a smile. A fourth read his lines shirtless while carrying another actor on his back playing a baby. And the fifth delivered the punchline of my play with simplicity and shirtlessness.

It really made my dreams come true. Gentlemen, may you all be so brave in your next theatrical outings because in my opinion, your stage shirtlessness is a thing of beauty. I will continue to write shirtless parts for all of you. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: