Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!


I kind of love New Year's, not for the parties since one has to find a mode of transportation to attend them which is always a nightmare, but for the feelings of hope it inspires even in the dead of winter.  It is a moment when most people take stock of what has happened in the past and try to resolve it with what they wish for in the future.  I like the process myself, and appreciate that almost everyone else is taking a moment to assess along with me.  While I have experienced a wide variety of events on New Year's Eve in the past, I almost always spend New Year's Day in my pajamas, cleaning, cooking, and relaxing.  And most importantly, I spend the day wishing for what I really want in the coming year.

More good shirtlessness is always on the list of wishes, and I feel that over the past 5 years, we at IMS have had an impact on the amount of good shirtlessness on stage and screen.  I'm proud of what has occurred and hopeful for what can still be.  Over the past year in particular, I have also found myself discussing diversity both personally and professionally more and more, and so my hope for the New Year is that IMS can itself be a more diverse platform.  More diversity in shirtlessness can only help the cause.  That is my true resolution to you, dear IMS members.

So on a note of hopefulness, I'll share a tidbit from a friend who told me that Idris Elba is rumored to be in line as the next James Bond.  After a little bit of Internet research, I discovered these rumors had some basis in fact, and that he had given an interview on the topic.  In the interview, Mr. Elba remarked that he did not want to be the "black" James Bond any more than Sean Connery is the Scottish Bond.  And so my hope is that by the time Daniel Craig finishes out his contract, we won't need to identify people by their skin color.  See what I mean about hopefulness?!  I continue to be...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: