Monday, December 29, 2008

The Beginnings of Shirtlessness

I mentioned that my Christmas involved a performance of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and had to post a picture of the men in that company as a holiday treat. Above please enjoy a lovely picture of Glenn Sims and Matthew Rushing, two of the premiere dancers in the company, in an athletic pose of excellent shirtlessness. The Ailey company boasts some of the most gifted dancers in the world, and I am happy to report that they consistently demonstrate good shirtlessness as well. One of my favorite pieces in the repertoire is the "Sinner Man" section of Alvin Ailey's choreographic masterpiece "Revelations" which features three shirtless men performing leaps, turns, and splits that will take your breathe away. This year is the 50th Anniversary of the company, and if you are looking for something to do in the next week in New York, please consider seeing them at City Center before January 4th.

Seeing the performance last week, I reflected on the roots of my affinity for good shirtlessness, and thought about the first time I saw Ailey in 9th grade. I remember not only "Revelations" but also a piece called "Bad Blood" choreographed by the late Ulysees Dove in which shirtless men literally threw and caught women over their heads. I remember being absolutely transformed by the performance. Looking back, I wonder if that wasn't the beginning of it all...

Wishing every one a very Happy New Year! I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

1 comment:

Kevin Shenoy said...

Happy New Year, Sister. And best of luck with 2009's edition of IMS.