Friday, July 10, 2009

Socially Conscious Shirtlessness

Last night was opening night for a play that I directed called "Grace" for Rising Circle Theater Collective which follows the stories of three human rights workers and one refugee that they cross paths with in a camp in Zambia. Working on this play has been an incredibly meaningful process not only because it is the first time I have worked on a piece exclusively from its first reading to a production but also because of the heart-wrenching subject matter. It has meant a lot to me to be able to help shed light on a story that doesn't get told. I think that is the point of creating art, to share stories with each other and recognize stories that may be different from our own. The show is wonderful - all the actors did such an amazing job. I feel like a proud parent! We have sold out our entire run, and the audience has been very receptive and enthusiastic. I feel gratified in being able to use my art for good.

And this morning as I think about my post, I feel compelled to use my blog for good too. So I post the beautiful Djimon Hounsou in a still from "Blood Diamond" in hopes of being able to use shirtlessness for good too. The movie tells the story of conflict diamonds being mined in Africa and how they add to the political climate in which children are abducted and forced to become soldiers. I have been doing some research on child soldiers because of the subject of Grace and think that I would gladly give up on the conditions that create such good male shirtlessness to save those children from fighting in a bloody and brutal war.

So even as we promote the two point standard of good shirtlessnes, let us not forget what price we pay for pretty things. I hope you will all take a moment to learn a little bit about the conflicts occurring in Africa right now. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita

No comments: