Friday, October 9, 2009

Peaceful Shirtlessness

Continuing with my not-shirtless-but-could-be sequence, I give you Justin Chambers who was shirtless in the opening sequence of GA last night. I did not watch the full episode because I got home late from a reading that I directed and needed some sleep so that I can finish the next draft of my play this morning before going to rehearsal, but I appreciated that GA seems to be going in the right direction by opening with shirtlessness. This is what we have been advocating for here at IMS. Unfortunately, the sequence did remind me that all the good shirtlessness in the world cannot make up for bad character. Dr. Alex Karev has been annoying me this season, and therefore his shirtlessness did not persuade me to watch more. Hopefully McDreamy or McSteamy took their shirts off later in the episode. I'll watch tonight.

I am feeling a little dreamy this morning having woken up to the news of Barack Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize. While I understand the confusion over his latest prize from even staunch Obama advocates, I am moved by the recognition of tone as a force in the world. I won't lie, every time the man speaks I start to cry because I am so overwhelmed by his words and the fact that he continues to use full sentences. I am biased. But I am also humbled because to me the Nobel Committee is recognizing the power of words and their profound impact on the world. In today's culture of everyone saying and writing (and blogging) whatever they want without concern for impact or tone, I have to say that I am in awe of the decision. What you say and how you say it matters. As a writer, I feel the profound importance of what I do, even on the smallest level.

My new play is getting a reading this Sunday. It is about women and power, and yes, the power of words. I am looking forward to hearing the brilliant cast bring my words to life, and I am excited that perhaps we can all change the world one word at a time. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: