Friday, October 2, 2009

Fall for Shirtlessness



I always forget how good modern dance can be for good male shirtlessness. Thank goodness I went to Fall for Dance at City Center on Wednesday night and partook in some excellent shirtlessness! Both Mark Dendy and Mark Morris presented pieces with lots of muscle-y torsos all over the stage and made me very happy indeed. Dendy's "Afternoon of a Faun," pictured above, was breathtaking. It was a non-stop ode to Diaghilev in which I really believed that the two dancers were animals rather than humans. Even the sweat flying off their bodies looked poetic. Mark Morris' "Grand Duo" was also stunning with its opening image of all the dancers dipping their fingers into a stream of light. Both of these choreographers used shirtlessness to highlight their lush and supple choreography to excellent effect. IMS definitely supports their efforts on behalf of the cause!

"A Steady Rain" opened on Broadway this week, and at the end of the review, it sounded as though Ben Brantley was sitting next to an IMS member. I wish it had been me, but if all goes according to plan, it will be me next month. While I am mad that neither Mr. Craig nor Mr. Jackman has found a way to take off their shirts, I do feel compelled to check out two poster boys in person. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: