Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Shirtlessness

Happy 2010! I'd like to start out the new year and the new decade with shirtlessness from the number 1 on my list of leading men: George Clooney. I love his new movie, Up in the Air, and thought he displayed some tasteful male shirtlessness in it. Although his co-star, Vera Farmiga, did bare her back (and one conversation at a holiday party focused on whether Ms. Farmiga used a body double for the scene), I am pleased to report that Mr. Clooney was the only person in the film to show frontal shirtlessness, and I for one am grateful.

The first Sunday of the year featured new episodes of DH and B&S which got the year off to a rather nostalgic and somewhat melancholy start. Neither episode had any male shirtlessness at all. Killing off Carl Meyer suggests that there won't be any new shirtlessness on DH any time soon, either. I'm a bit saddened by his demise. Also, did anyone else think that the fat suit that they used for Teri Hatcher looked strangely like the one they used for Courtney Cox in Friends? I can only hope that the fat suit will be properly retired now.

In the meantime, I have to protest against B&S continuing to disparage all things sacred. First they did not make Gilles Marini take off his shirt in every episode of his time on the show. Now they allow Kitty to say "Manolas" instead of "Manolos." I am quite sure that Calista Flockhart is familiar with the fabulousness that is a Manolo Blahnik shoe, and this errant pronunciation was deeply disturbing to me, especially after Sarah coos over some Laboutins that are clearly not in the shot. Fine B&S if you cannot understand the finer points of male shirtlessness, but please get it right with the shoes. Shame, shame.

In spite of all of these affronts to shirtlessness and good taste, I am hopeful that 2010 will usher in a new era of fitness, seeing the sun, and bi-partisan cooperation. Carry on the good work, IMS! I am proud of all of you!

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: