Monday, January 24, 2011

Sugar Ray Shirtless

In the march towards the Oscars, I am anxiously watching as many of the soon-to-be-nominated films as I can. Last night night, I saw "The Fighter." While there was a lot of good shirtlessness in the film from previously featured actors Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale, there was also some footage of probably the first good male shirtlessness I ever saw when I was a child, boxing film of Sugar Ray Leonard. My dad used to watch boxing when I was a kid, and I have distinct memories of watching some of Sugar Ray's fights with him. Mr. Leonard made a brief appearance in the film, and I was reminded of how cute I always thought he was. So in honor of fighters everywhere and comebacks of all kinds, I give you Sugar Ray Leonard who always gave great shirtlessness.

Having seen "The Fighter" I also see how Mr. Bale and Melissa Leo won Golden Globe awards for their performances. They both broke my heart in this film, and I'm routing for them to win Oscars. The movie has a lot of heart, and it's hard not to get swept up in the story of a down on his luck boxer fighting his way to the top in spite of the heavy weight of a crazy family. How can you not cheer for a shirtless Mark Wahlberg? And a new IMS member did remark on a great shot of Mr. Wahlberg's back, and I have to say if anyone can find that clip from the film, I will post it. That is all good.

It is still not warm in Alabama, but it's not as cold here as in New York. So I'm grateful and...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: