Monday, January 31, 2011

Award Winning Shirtlessness

With the awards season upon us, I realize that I will probably spend a great deal of time in the next few weeks trying to catch all the Oscar movies. Between that and the fact that we are beginning our repertory schedule of doing one show while rehearsing another, I doubt I will have much time for new shirtlessness. I'm also concerned that none of the front runners for Oscars aside from Christian Bale who was recently posted give good shirtlessness. So let me take a moment to commend the Cecil B.DeMille Award winner from the Golden Globes, Robert De Niro. In his younger years, he sported quite a bit of shirtlessness, and then when that faded he turned to comedy - never a bad choice. Granted "Little Fockers" was not his best work, but I can respect a man who replaces a fit torso with a jaunty wit. So congratulations to Mr. De Niro for the recognition of his body of work.

Julius Caesar begins preview tomorrow. Although there is no shirtlessness in the show, technical rehearsals over the weekend revealed that the costumes feature quite a few bare calves. When not wearing togas, the men all wear tunics with short breeches. Although I have never been an advocate for pantslessness, I do know some members of IMS who thoroughly enjoy a bare calf. This show is definitely for those individuals. Calves and swordplay and the infrequent appearance of me in a wig reminiscent of Liza Minnelli. I've never actually had to play a boy before, and so I'm enjoying myself. I don't know if anyone believes that I'm either male or a child, but here's to hoping. Our first audience arrives tomorrow morning, and then only time will tell. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: