Saturday, August 9, 2008

Late Breaking Post - Modern Dance!

I will admit that I forgot to post today. I just got back from a three day mini-break in the Hamptons where I did not see any good male shirtlessness but I did see some interesting plastic surgery and was a bit confused about what day it was and what my responsibilities are. However, I am so glad that I did forget because I was reminded of my posting schedule when I went to a modern dance concert at Lincoln Center Out of Doors and realized that there is a whole world of male shirtlessness that I have neglected - modern dance! Tonight I saw Ronald K. Brown/Evidence and was blown away not only by the excellent male shirtlessness on display but the tremendous choreography. Please check out this gorgeous company! I have long been a fan of Ron Brown and his work, but watching the performance this evening made me remember how much modern dance can really lift your heart to new heights. It took me back to the days when I was a young moderina taking his class in a basement studio and dancing till I literally could not dance any more. What I have always loved about Ron's work is that he always allows his dancers to make the movements their own, and in a company dominated by men, he choreographs for strong women too. And he demonstrates and exemplifies good male shirtlessness as shown in this video from last year. The video is an excerpt of a piece that I saw tonight called "Upside Down," and all the men were shirtless for the whole thing. It was amazing. Please do not pass up an opportunity to see this company!

So I hope the video makes up for the late post, and that discovering a new and inspirational form of male shirtlessness makes everyone do a little dance. I know I will! Until I stop, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: