Friday, June 19, 2009

15 Year Anniversary Shirtlessness

As you know, sometimes I wax nostalgic about my modern dance days, and recently I was sent a link to the Complexions website that featured this photo of the amazing Desmond Richardson in honor of the company's 15th Anniversary. Of course, I had to post it! I remember back in year 1 of Complexions when I was a student at the Ailey School, a friend of mine invited me to attend a studio rehearsal of the new company. I took one of my friends from college who was not a dancer to the showing. We each paid $10 to sit inside one of the studios at 311 West 61st Street and watch the company rehearse a new piece. I remember that Desmond warmed up by doing splits up the wall. My friend leaned over and said "I would have paid $10 just to watch him warm up!" Congratulations to Complexions for moving out of the studio and onto stages all over the world where I am sure they charge more than $10. But especially thanks for giving two recent college grads the best $10 show they ever saw!

In the meantime, my posts keep getting later and later because I am losing my mind. Between planning a benefit for one theater company and directing a play for another, I am barely holding all the details together. What's worse is that I am in charge of planning my own birthday party next week as well. I didn't have enough brain cells left to plan a really good shirtlessness party where cute shirtless guys come in and serve my friends pizza like in that Toni Braxton video, and so I am settling for a yoga party where shirtlessness is optional but not required. At least I am using my birthday to promote one of the two points of good shirtlessness: fitness. Let's hope for some sun too, to promote the second. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: