Monday, June 1, 2009

Continued Star Trek Shirtlessness


So I did find a friend to see "Star Trek" with me this weekend. Of course, my friend had already seen it once. Alas, I am really behind on this one. So I liked this movie much more than "Wolverine" because I found the characters much more interesting and engaging, but some things still puzzled me. On the plus side, I must say I enjoyed all of the tight Enterprise uniforms sported by everyone except for today's featured shirtlessness, Zachary Quinto. For some reason, his shirt was rather loose and baggy compared to what Chris Pine and John Cho were wearing. Considering that he was the only character to have a love life, I found this rather strange. But I won't dwell on this since Mr. Quinto routinely takes off his shirt in "Heroes" and there were plenty of tight uniforms to look at all around. I'd like to give particular props to fellow South Asian actor, Faran Tahir, for his great opening scene in a very flattering costume. IMS is proud!

So the big question I had coming away from this film is why Winona Ryder is playing Zachary Quinto's mother? She is not even 10 years older than him. Is it that hard to find an age appropriate actor in Hollywood? Have the shoplifting charges damaged Ms. Ryder's career so much that she can only play roles 20 to 30 years older than herself? Her husband was played by Ben Cross whom I remember from "Chariots of Fire" when I was a kid and probably so does she. I am disturbed by this doubly because I recently saw an ad for a reality television show whose name I have deliberately forgotten but that attempts to sell itself as "America's Next Top Model" for women over 35. This sounds nice in theory, but the reality is that a 37 year old woman is competing against a 72 year old woman, and I am left asking myself "Is 35 the dividing line between young and old for women?" Are there really only hot 20-somethings and everyone else?

Since IMS started out as an advocacy group spurred by the fact that women have had to take their shirts off for years, I hope that we can take our platform of good male shirtlessness further to suggest that sexiness is ageless in both genders. Many of the shirtless wonders on this blog are well over 35 and look amazing. We're not putting anyone out to pasture here, and we hope that Hollywood will do the same. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: