Monday, June 22, 2009

Proposed Shirtlessness

As the president of IMS, I felt it was my duty to attend the opening weekend of "The Proposal" starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, given that Mr. Reynolds has received so much attention on the blog of late and that the storyline follows the older (40-ish) woman falling for the younger (30-ish) man trajectory that some IMS members seem to love. I post the above trailer because it contains all the shirtlessness in the movie. If I sound disappointed, I am. To have no additional shirtlessness than what was on tv in a Ryan Reynolds movie does not seem fair. It has rained 15 of the last 20 days in June, and I wonder if it is too much to ask that a romantic comedy marketed to women contain more than one shirtless scene. Is it?

Furthermore, does the shirtlessness have to be preporsterous? In the movie, the naked scene was achieved by putting Ms. Bullock in the shower without a towel and having Mr. Reynolds take off all his clothes on a balcony of his parents house while wearing a earphones. I ask you, have you ever taken your shirt off without removing your earphones first? Is this possible? I am baffled. Here at IMS, we strive to make good shirtlessness a part of one's everyday life. "The Proposal" is not helping us out by making shirtlessness seem like it needs the perfect alignment of the stars in order to happen. Mr. Reynolds could have taken his shirt off while chopping wood or taking a run or heading to the shower, and honestly, I wish he had.

On a positive note, I loved Ms. Bullock's shoes in this movie. They didn't quite make up for the low number of shirtless scenes, but they made me smile. I guess that shoes will have to fill the gap until Friday. Until then, I am...

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: