Friday, June 26, 2009

In Memoriam

In honor of the tremendous talent of Michael Jackson, I had to take a day away from shirtlessness and pay homage to this legendary star. I came home from rehearsal last night where I heard the news and danced in my living room to "Rock With You" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" in memorial of the way he indeed did make me feel. I remember the day Elvis died when I was a little girl and how my mom and uncle were so sad over the loss. This moment is the equivalent for my generation - to lose an artist who so defined our coming of age. I will freely admit to wearing a Thriller jacket to school for most of 7th grade and the giddiness I felt being in the Thriller medley number for my dance recital that year. I used to do the dance from the video for all my relatives and for many dance competitions and talent contests. For me, that album introduced me to dance as a tangible and popular form of entertainment, and those songs defined my middle school life, now known as the "tween" years when you were suddenly intensely aware of yourself as a person in relation to everyone else. At school dances, everyone got on the floor to Michael Jackson, even the teachers. A few years ago I asked for the the Thriller album on cd for Christmas because I only had the record. I still consider it the best album ever. And I think I always will.

Thank you Michael Jackson for showing us all how to thrill.

Yours respectfully,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: