Monday, November 29, 2010

Burlesque!

Over Thanksgiving, my mom and I went to see "Burlesque." She loves dancing movies, and since I had already seen "Morning Glory" and promised "Love and Other Drugs" to a couple of my friends, I figured, why not? And I'll admit I had a good time. I don't think that my mom ever really understood that burlesque is old-fashioned stripping which eliminated any discomfort which may have existed in watching a strip show with my mother. The numbers were all suitably fabulous and particularly well created for the camera. Christina looked and sounded great, and Cher was her fabulous self. And most importantly, the most skin that we saw was on this gentleman pictured above, Cam Gigandet. Mr. Gigandet wore lots of eyeliner and little else which made me happy. So the story was trite and all the songs were not hits - who cares? Mr. Gigandet stalking around wearing nothing but a cookie box was something to be thankful for! Further research shows that Mr. Gigandet apparently goes shirtless in all of his movies, with good reason. I look forward to his next film. Strangely enough, Eric Dane was in the movie, wearing a shirt for the entire film. I'm not sure what to make of that, but given how much shirtlessness Mr. Gigandet provided, I really cannot complain.

My other Thanskgiving movie wound up being "Princess Diaries 2" which I watched on the couch on Saturday night after flying home and ordering take-out. This movie looks like it was shot at DisneyWorld itself with its faux-European cobblestones, but I could not stop watching it. I love Anne Hathaway, and her speech for why queens should not have to marry at the end of the movie made me feel happy that at least one generation of girls is being told that marriage is not the be-all that we see in virtually every single other form of mass media. So go, Princess Mia, and rule alone while having fun on the side with the princely Chris Pine!

So what am I thankful for this year? I'm thankful for better male shirtlessness all over the place and a community of people who appreciate it as much as I do! Thanks for keeping the cause alive!

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

No comments: