Monday, March 3, 2008

Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! You may ask yourself, "Why Indians for Male Shirtlessness?" Well, I'll tell you. This is actually the official blog for the club I started of the same name. Why a club? For beginners, I'm Indian, and I believe in male shirtlessness. For years, decades even, women have had to take off their shirts in the name of art or commerce or what have you in order to sell tickets to movies or commercials on tv show. Why was this? Because the camera was always positioned as the straight male gaze (and probably straight white male but that is a topic for later). Recently, however, I noticed that men seem to be taking their shirts off in popular movies and hit tv shows, and last season, when I watched the sneaky pilot for "Private Practice" ( I say sneaky because it masqueraded as an episode of "Grey's Anatomy") I realized why. Finally, the camera gets a chance to be positioned as the female gaze. There was a scene of all three female doctors hanging around in the waiting room to see the male receptionist walk down the hall with his shirt off as he goes to surf during his lunch break. While the plot point of having someone surf for lunch is preposterous, I thoroughly enjoyed having the camera mimic my point of view. So in the name of encouraging this trend, I started "Indians for Male Shirtlessness." It's the feminist cause, really. Women like to look at hot bods just as much as men do, and so let's keep the shirtlessness coming. We are not limiting our club to women, however, because we know that there are plenty of men out there, gay and straight (though perhaps tilted to the gay end of the spectrum?), who also appreciate a nice muscle-y torso on the big or small screen. We are equal opportunity. Our club is devoted to encouraging and publicizing instances of good male shirtlessness. When I learn how to post pictures, I'll do that too. At the moment, I will stick to posting sightings. The club already has 10 members who receive newsletters which will now be replaced by blog entries. Now that we are on the internet, who knows how big we could grow or powerful we could become! I'm hoping that our club will inspire the writers at "Grey's Anatomy" to make Eric Dane take his shirt off again because I'm not sure what the point of calling someone McSteamy if he doesn't take his shirt off. But for now, let's keep it simple.

So welcome to the club! You don't have to be Indian to join, just true to the cause. Let's go out there and find some good male shirtlessness!

Yours in shirtlessness,
Nandita
President
IMS

2 comments:

kirsten said...

Sign me up.

Nina M. said...

If you have a moment, you'll love this intellectual discussion on just how "naked" Eric Dane should be on ELLEN. And, of course some choice replays of our favorite scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVSWH2K46L4

long live McSteamy. ;)